Design and build contracts are a common type of construction contract in Hong Kong. They are used when a client wants to engage a contractor to design and build a project, rather than separately engaging an architect and a builder.
A design and build contract sample in Hong Kong typically includes several key elements. These include the following:
1. Scope of work: This section should clearly define the project and the work to be done. It should include details such as the location of the project, the type of building or structure to be constructed, and any specific requirements that the client has.
2. Design phase: This section outlines the design phase of the project, including the scope of design work, the design timeline, and any approvals required from the client or relevant authorities.
3. Construction phase: This section outlines the construction phase of the project, including the construction timeline, the responsibilities of the contractor and the client during construction, and any approvals required from the client or relevant authorities.
4. Payment: This section outlines the payment terms for the project, including the total contract price, the payment schedule, and any penalties for late payment or non-payment.
5. Insurance and warranties: This section outlines the insurance requirements for the project, as well as any warranties that the contractor will provide for the work.
6. Dispute resolution: This section outlines how disputes between the client and the contractor will be resolved, including any mediation or arbitration procedures.
When drafting a design and build contract sample in Hong Kong, it is important to ensure that the contract complies with all relevant laws and regulations. This includes compliance with the Construction Industry Council’s Code of Conduct, as well as compliance with relevant health and safety regulations.
In addition, it is important to ensure that the contract is clear, concise, and easy for both parties to understand. This will help to avoid disputes and ensure that the project is completed on time and within budget.
Overall, a well-drafted design and build contract is essential for any construction project in Hong Kong. By including all of the key elements outlined above, contractors and clients can ensure that their project runs smoothly and is completed to a high standard.